Happy Place

I have disembarked from the USS Sabbatical. I have returned to the people and ministry that kept things afloat while I was gone, many of whom greeted me enthusiastically as I came ashore. In fact, it turns out that they covered things so well while I was gone that I sort of wish I had given in to the temptation to wander off for another month or so, hoping I wouldn't be missed! Truth be told, it is good to be back in the midst of the community and ministry to which I am called. Co-workers and folks among whom I minister alike have been gracious in expressing gratitude for my return.

As much as I am glad to be back in the saddle (to jarringly switch metaphors and geographic references!), I must admit that already, after just a few days back, I yearn for some of the "happy places" I found during my sabbatical sojourn. I hope that my daily rhythms will be different because of the time I spent away. I am working hard to make it so: identifying and adhering to priorities and boundaries with my time, focusing on relationships and people first and responsibilities and tasks second, taking mini-sabbaths throughout the day for prayer, meditation, deep breathing, and refocusing, and stopping by my Happy Place once in a while.

This is why I just had to share this video. Peter Mayer is, by far, my favorite musician. He is my go-to musician. His CDs are the ones I put in the player when I am down, when I am unusually happy, when I am in the mood for thoughtful reflection, and when I just want to listen to a stunning acoustic guitarist who writes and sings amazing lyrics with a unique and, for me, captivating voice. He is a folk musician from my home state of Minnesota who gathers up the breadth and depth of life, in all of its holiness and hilarity, and sends it wafting into the world to take root in the hearts of anyone who has ears to hear.

After you've enjoyed this video and song, I hope you'll check out more of his stuff on YouTube and, better yet, visit his web site, buy a CD or two, and look for him in concert somewhere near you.

As for me, if you'll excuse me, I am off to spend some time in my Happy Place. May you find the way to yours at least a time or two today!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Table Scraps by William O. Gafkjen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.